Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Soaking grains


As I continue to learn things about healthy living and eating I have come across this old practice of soaking grains before eating them. I feel like I have a lot more to learn about this, and I will be posting more in the future. I am trying my first batch of bread today. The flour was pre-soaked and slightly fermented for about 21 hours. There is an element in grains and legumes that is called phytic acid. This has a binding affect on minerals, meaning most of the minerals in the bread or grains we eat is not being absorbed by our bodies, but carried right out by the phytic acid. There are studies being done on phytic acid and there are some instances in which it presents itself as a helpful agent in people with the need to draw heavy metals out of their bodies, but for every day health it looks like we need to be soaking our grains and legumes to get maximum nutrition out of them. I am not sure how the processes are done yet, but I am starting, and I encourage you to look into the idea of soaking your grains before eating them.

No comments: